Vandremin Calergi building, built in the sixteenth century by Mauro Condussi, is the seat since 1946 of the Casino Municipale of Venice.
The oldest casino was born in Venice in 1638, but it is the home of Lido born around the 30s which develops the idea of the casino project in Old Town, at the Vandremin Calergi Renaissance palace, which overlooks the Grand Canal. The latest is the third site was founded in 1999 in Ca Noghera, the first site of casino with americans games.
The seats are in fact three: Cà Vendramin "The salotto of the classic games" to play traditional card games (Chemin de fer, thirties and forties, Caribbean stud poker, blackjack) or roulettes; Cà Noghera "The best of American games "on the mainland with American games and slot machines, Casino del Lido" The historical site of summer. " You can become a member by completing a form on the web site and got the card you can use different services, discounts and inputs facilitated.
Ca 'Vandremin is a Renaissance palace consists of a ground floor, a main floor with large living room and three smaller rooms all furnished according to the owners as they have succeeded.
Access is from the Grand Canal in the Cannaregio district.
Today some of the rooms on the mezzanine (inhabited by Wagner) are added to the museum in memory of musician and composer. Other rooms house the collection instead of the mezzanine (scores, letters, paintings, lithographs, etc.) that Josef Lienhart, president of international associations on Wagner, sold to the museum.
Ca 'Vendramin Calergi is one of the Venetian palaces that no longer express the Renaissance in Venice.
Designed by Mauro Codussi, was completed at the beginning of the sixteenth century.
The history of ownership of the building is very long: in the beginning belonged to the family Loredan, following a family of Greek origin, and further to the Calergi Vendramin family.
In the mid-nineteenth century, the building was sold to the Duchess of Berry (grandson of Emperor Leopold II Habsburg and daughter of King Charles X of France).
Later, the duchess was forced to put itself into liquidation and auction the building many of the works.
With the death of the Duchess, the palace was the seat of the Dukes of Grace and Count de 'Bardi.
It is in this latter period that Ca 'Vendramin Calergi hosted the famous composer Richard Wagner who spent the last days of existence (1883).
Wagner liked very much the city of Venice, was a timeless place where he could find inspiration for his works.